Exigence

Exigence – the thing that causes you to react, in this case, writing is your reaction

How did you engage with exigence throughout the semester?

• Constant engagement depending upon major/concentration, interests, experience.

How did you analyze exigence impact your writing?

• Impacts point of view
  • Impact content

In rhetoric, exigence is an issue, problem, or situation that causes or prompts someone to write or speak. The term exigence comes from the Latin word for “demand.” It was popularized in rhetorical studies by Lloyd Bitzer in “The Rhetorical Situation” (Philosophy and Rhetoric, 1968).

The exigence of my assignments was base on my interest and concentration. As I mentioned on my technical description, “Sky and outer space were the untouchable world, where people dreamed to be discovered. Jet engine are using to drive airplanes and rocket which allow people have ability to discover the world where we were not able to arrive, design and built better performance and efficiency thermal engines to improve our industry. I also thought drones will be the future aircraft and cargo carriers. A better thermal engine means a better efficiency; people would have a great benefit in transportation, physical distribution and environment.” I have a desire on discover space, and I love machinery. These things combined makes me feel more confidence and interest in writing a technical description of jet engine, even though it is hard. “We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hardbecause that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we …” said John F. Kennedy.

Reference:

Taylor Brooks https://rhetoricandwritingmajor101.weebly.com/what-is-an-exigence.html