Course Learning Outcome #5

“engage in genre analysis and multimodal composing to explore effective writing across disciplinary contexts and beyond”

Genre is a type of writing. This semester, we worked on papers that include six types of genres. they were Technical Description, Lab Report, Technical description, resume, job posting and diagnostic letter. They have different contents, and they have their own conventions to follow.

I engage with this genre throughout the semester by:

• Looked at each genre within the online text
  • Looked at samples of genre as a class and performed genre analysis of the samples
  • Genre was a newer consideration as assignment required in depth understanding of constructing specific genres, engagement was constant.

Technical Description was the hardest genre for me to comprehend. When I was assigned the technical description paper, I must admit that I was a little scared. Writing that says I am not well versed in object and process descriptions will be a complete understatement. The easiest genre I believe was lab report, since I have done many lab reports in Physics and Chemistry classes. The lab report for my project is focusing on the conductivity of different materials. I also did resume, job posting and diagnostic letter.