Course Learning Outcome #6

“formulate and articulate a stance through and in your writing”

• Having the freedom to choose topics allowed for exploration of attitudes on certain topics (students were able to build stance, change stance, consider varying stances)
  • Stance should be conveyed through paper’s tone, content (very specific materials)
  • Stance impacts purpose because, one must know how they fell on a topic in order to know what to include in their content and why they are writing.
  • Content is heavily affected by stance, you will purposely include content and research that supports your stance.
  • Audience must know stance, this affects how the paper is delivered and absorbed.
  • Student also had to consider audience stance in order to impact the purpose and content of their assignments.
  • Sometimes students discussed not having a stance because the assignment (and the purpose of the assignment) prompted them to remain neutral.

For engineers, the purpose of writing is to document what we are trying. From the beginning of the semester, I knew the purpose of writing. It is to inform and convey to my audience the theme I am passionate about.